BonBonanza

I'm Bonnie, and I make stuff!

My toasty thinking cap :D

Posted on | December 14, 2011 | 6 Comments

Actually, I made this hat as a gift…but it’s given me a few fun ideas.

toasty warm :)

It’s just a basic hat, plus a few improvements:

Using a yarn similar in gauge to Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice, and a G hook:

• Rnd 1: Make a magic circle, sc 6 in the loop and pull it closed. (6 sc)
  • Rnd 2: Make 3 dc in each sc around. (18 dc)
  • Rnd 3: [Make 2 dc in next st, dc in next st, make 2 dc in next st] around. (30 dc)
  • Rnd 4: [Dc in next st, make 2 dc in next st. Dc in next 2 sts, make 2 dc in next st] around. (42 dc)
  • Rnd 5: [Dc in each of the next 2 sts, make 2 dc in next st. Dc in each of the next 3 sts, make 2 dc in next st] around. (54 dc)
  • Rnd 6: [Dc in each of the next 3 sts, make 2 dc in next st. Dc in each of the next 4 sts, make 2 dc in next st] around. (66 dc)
  • Sc in next st and each around until your hat reaches just above your eyebrows.
  • Earflaps – Row 1: Ch 1 and turn. Dc 4, then sc 4, and sl st in the next stitch. Turn.
  • Row 2: Ch 1; dc across the earflap.
  • Row 3: Ch 1 and turn. Dc 4, then sc 5, and sl st in the next stitch. Turn.
  • Row 4: Repeat row 2; finish by making a sl st into the next st of hat brim.
  • Sc around the back half of the hat and repeat the earflap on the other side.
  • Dc down the front edge of the earflap, up around the triangle just formed, and dc 2 in the point.
  • Sc around the back of the hat and do the same to the other earflap.
  • Sc all the way around, increasing on the points of the earflaps to keep them flat.
  • Sl st the last stitch to smooth the edge, and weave in the ends.
  • Cut about 9 18-24″ lengths of yarn (either coordinating color, or more of the same) and pull the lengths through the stitches on the points of the earflaps. Only put about 2 strands through a single stitch to spread out the pull and avoid stretching out your stitches. Fold strands in half through the earflap stitches and make the ends even; then braid the bundle, knotting them at the end and trimming the tails of the braids to make them even.

Enjoy!

Comments

6 Responses to “My toasty thinking cap :D”

1. Lois Treiser
    December 21st, 2011 @ 1:54 am

I’d like a copy of the pattern but it came out to 9 pages, please send me a copy of the pattern and 1 picture of the hat. I’ve never seen a crocheted earflap hat pattern.
    Lois Treiser

2. Bonnie
    December 21st, 2011 @ 2:17 am

Rnd 1: Make a magic circle, sc 6 in the loop and pull it closed. (6 sc)
    Rnd 2: Make 3 dc in each sc around. (18 dc)
    Rnd 3: Make 2 dc in each dc around. (30 dc)
    Rnd 4: [Dc in next st, make 2 dc in next st] around. (42 dc)
    Rnd 5: [Dc in each of the next 2 sts, make 2 dc in next st] around. (54 dc)
    Rnd 6: [Dc in each of the next 3 sts, make 2 dc in next st] around. (66 dc)
    Sc in next st and each around until your hat reaches just above your eyebrows.
    Row 2: Ch 1; dc across the earflap.
    Row 3: Ch 1 and turn. Dc 4, then sc 5, and sl st in the next stitch. Turn.
    Row 4: Repeat row 2; finish by making a sl st into the next st of hat brim.
    Sc around the back half of the hat and repeat the earflap on the other side.
    Dc down the front edge of the earflap, up around the triangle just formed, and dc 2 in the point.
    Sc around the back of the hat and do the same to the other earflap.
    Sl st the last stitch to smooth the edge, and weave in the ends.
    Cut about 9 18-24″ lengths of yarn (either coordinating color, or more of the same) and pull the lengths through the stitches on the points of the earflaps. Only put about 2 strands through a single stitch to spread out the pull and avoid stretching out your stitches. Fold strands in half through the earflap stitches and make the ends even; then braid the bundle, knotting them at the end and trimming the tails of the braids to make them even.
    ___________
    I hope you enjoy! :D

3. Lorrie
    January 4th, 2012 @ 4:48 am

Hi Bonnie – I love this hat. I’m making it in the Vanna’s Choice – Taupe Mist color – looks great.
    When I started to crochet it – the stitch count didn’t work out for rows 3,4,5.
    Row 3 ends up with 36 stitches.
    Row 4 ends up with 54 stitches.
    Row 5 ends up with 72 stitches.
    Row 6 ends up with 90 stitches.
    I figured out the corrections to end up with 66 stitches, just thought you would want to change your posted pattern.

4. admin
    January 4th, 2012 @ 4:25 pm

Thank you; I’ve corrected it.

5. Mary Peterson
    December 18th, 2012 @ 7:07 pm

The pattern says dc but the photo is sc. Am really new to this crochet stuff and would really like a good looking single crochet earflap pattern (the photo is exactly what I’ve been looking for!) Can you help?

6. Bonnie
    December 31st, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

This is one I’ve been meaning to go back and re-do (like the divine beret) because I really am not as sure what I did to make it work in the first place. (My note-taking skills during pattern-making have improved since.) I remember that I did do the pate (the top part) in double crochet, to make it go quicker. Then I did the rest in single. If you look at this picture, you can see how the pattern of the yarn coloration makes a zigzag right above my ear. That’s the point where I changed from double crochet to single. I don’t know how much this helps, but I can do a revisit in the near future, which will probably help more. :)