Actually, I made this hat as a gift…but it’s given me a few fun ideas.
It’s just a basic hat, plus a few improvements:
Using a yarn similar in gauge to Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice, and a G hook:
- Rnd 1: Make a magic circle, sc 6 in the loop and pull it closed. (6 sc)
- Rnd 2: Make 3 dc in each sc around. (18 dc)
- Rnd 3: [Make 2 dc in next st, dc in next st, make 2 dc in next st] around. (30 dc)
- Rnd 4: [Dc in next st, make 2 dc in next st. Dc in next 2 sts, make 2 dc in next st] around. (42 dc)
- Rnd 5: [Dc in each of the next 2 sts, make 2 dc in next st. Dc in each of the next 3 sts, make 2 dc in next st] around. (54 dc)
- Rnd 6: [Dc in each of the next 3 sts, make 2 dc in next st. Dc in each of the next 4 sts, make 2 dc in next st] around. (66 dc)
- Sc in next st and each around until your hat reaches just above your eyebrows.
- Earflaps – Row 1: Ch 1 and turn. Dc 4, then sc 4, and sl st in the next stitch. Turn.
- Row 2: Ch 1; dc across the earflap.
- Row 3: Ch 1 and turn. Dc 4, then sc 5, and sl st in the next stitch. Turn.
- Row 4: Repeat row 2; finish by making a sl st into the next st of hat brim.
- Sc around the back half of the hat and repeat the earflap on the other side.
- Dc down the front edge of the earflap, up around the triangle just formed, and dc 2 in the point.
- Sc around the back of the hat and do the same to the other earflap.
- Sc all the way around, increasing on the points of the earflaps to keep them flat.
- Sl st the last stitch to smooth the edge, and weave in the ends.
- Cut about 9 18-24″ lengths of yarn (either coordinating color, or more of the same) and pull the lengths through the stitches on the points of the earflaps. Only put about 2 strands through a single stitch to spread out the pull and avoid stretching out your stitches. Fold strands in half through the earflap stitches and make the ends even; then braid the bundle, knotting them at the end and trimming the tails of the braids to make them even.
Please follow and like us: