BonBonanza

I'm Bonnie, and I make stuff!

Oh, the weather outside is frightful…

Posted on | December 8, 2011 | 36 Comments

So I made a pair of boots!
These are my custom boots!

Custom Sweater Boots!
Aren’t they cute? Don’t you want to make some? Here’s what you do:

• Find a pair of shoes with good soles. (In my case, they were originally a pair of sneaker flats that I absolutely detested…but the insides were SUPER comfy.)
  • Remove the uppers from the soles. (ALL the shoe, pretty much, except for the bottom, and the edges of the bottom. When I did this part, I felt a definite sense of “someone’s going to tell on me”, because I was taking a pair of scissors and destroying my shoes… it was so fun! Moving on…)
  • VERY CAREFULLY, sew a blanket stitch around the edge of your sole with the yarn you’ve chosen (I used Vanna’s Choice. One of the 3.5 oz skeins made one boot plus a bit left over for sewing on buttons or playing with the cat. Go nuts, haha! ^_^) ANYWAY: I say very carefully, because it’s a thick thing you’re running a needle through, so pay attention to your fingers. O_O Seriously folks. Also, don’t do this part by machine. If you can figure out a way that you can, without seriously damaging your sewing machine, kudos to you, but I can’t think of any scenario where a machine would come out ok. Make sure your stitches are about 1/4″ apart, from the outer edges of the yarn.
  • Once you’ve sewn all the way around your sole, use a G hook (or an appropriate size, whatever will get a nice tight product with the yarn you’re using while still letting it be a bit stretchy and nice) to sc all around in the loops at the top of the blanket stitch, joining the round with a slip stitch.
  • Begin making sc in each stitch around the second row. As you sc, your boot may start to flare outwards (like a flying saucer is sprouting from your sole instead of a boot! You don’t want that) so at the curved places of the sole (like the toe area and the heel, but also around the instep, it just depends on the soles you use) decrease one or two in a row until the “wall” of your boot is pointing straight up instead of out.
  • Sc around without increasing or decreasing until you get to a height where you want to bring the toe area in. (You can try these on as you go. In fact, please do so that you don’t find out at the end whether it fits or not.)
  • To start forming the top of the foot area (and again, you’ll want to be trying it on as you go) crochet around until you’re ready to begin working around the toe. Decrease every other stitch up the side, sc 3 or 4 across the tip of the toe, then decrease every other stitch down the other side. Turn.
  • Continue decreasing every other stitch up the side, sc 3 or 4 across the tip of the toe, and decreasing every other stitch every row just in the toe area until top of shoe is finished. Be sure to try it on frequently in this stage.
  • Sc from the toe area on to the side of the shoe. Sc all the way around for 2 rounds, joining each with a sl st.
  • Sc around to a spot an inch before the middle of the outer ball of your ankle, then sc in the front loops another inch. Ch 1, turn.
  • Sc around to right before the spot you turned, and sc in the back loops (of the inch you made sc in the front loops. This will form an overlap). Turn.
  • Sc back and forth 6 more rows.
  • To form the first buttonhole, ch 6, sc in the 6th sc from the base of the ch, sc around, turn.
  • Sc across. When you’re sc’ing over the buttonhole ch, sc 5 AROUND the ch.
  • Make 7 rows of sc between each buttonhole (3 total) and sc 7 rows after the 3rd.
  • Granite stitch (ch 1, sk 1 st, sc in next st) around the top once, and down the sides twice.
  • Sew on three buttons to match the positions of your buttonholes. Do you like mine? I made them myself. You can buy some of my handmade buttons from my Etsy shop!
  • Repeat directions for second boot.
  • Handmade and beautiful!

So, enjoy! Mine are nice and warm. 😀

Comments

36 Responses to “Oh, the weather outside is frightful…”

1. Stephanie
    December 8th, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

These are awesome. I wish I had an old pair of shoes I could destroy to make these!

2. Bonnie
    December 8th, 2011 @ 7:56 pm

well, had the idea of using a pair of flip-flops… I don’t know if it would work, but if you try it, let me know how it goes! 🙂

3. Jacqueline
    December 8th, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

What a great recycling idea. Thanks so much for sharing

4. Lydia
    December 8th, 2011 @ 8:31 pm

This is AMAZING!!!!!
    I think I have some old shoes I can use! I’m going to try this out as soon as I can! 😀

5. Bonnie
    December 8th, 2011 @ 10:03 pm

Thank you lol I hope you have as much fun as I did. 😀

6. Rachel
    December 9th, 2011 @ 9:15 pm

Super cute!!! I’ve been needing a pair of boots; I just hope I have a pair of nice, crappy shoes to lend to the cause!

7. laquetta
    December 10th, 2011 @ 1:48 pm

This is my project for the weekend. I have a skein of gray yarn just waiting to be crocheted into something and the local store has canvas shoes for $3.

8. Bonnie
    December 11th, 2011 @ 3:54 am

Sounds great! It’s loads of fun. 😀

9. wendy
    December 10th, 2011 @ 7:17 pm

This is a ingenious idea, you have no idea how inpressed I am with this idea. I am a crafty person too, but this is awesome can’t wait to make them..

10. Bonnie
    December 11th, 2011 @ 3:53 am

Thank you. 🙂 To be fair, I found it elsewhere online, but not crocheted. Hope you enjoy!

11. Ashley
    December 20th, 2011 @ 7:34 am

Check at a thrift store for a pair of shoes. You won’t feel so bad cutting them up

12. tammie
    January 7th, 2012 @ 8:47 am

these look great i have patterns to make these all the way through via knitting but never thought of crocheting on the sole of another shoe.. brill idea.. thankyou.x

13. Lydienne
    January 7th, 2012 @ 9:26 am

Thanks for posting, these are so cool!!!

14. Ashly
    January 9th, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

I am so excited to try this with my friend Brittany! What an awesome idea. 🙂

15. karen
    January 22nd, 2012 @ 11:42 pm

what a great idea…keep upthe good work

16. Shamy
    February 7th, 2012 @ 2:19 am

Cutting up my old all stars now!!!!

17. Bonnie
    February 7th, 2012 @ 5:45 am

Fun! Make sure to leave some of the edge of the shoe to sew on, or everything is harder. And more dangerous for your fingers. O_O

18. Jane
    February 13th, 2012 @ 12:28 am

Hi Bonnie,

I absolutely love this pattern! I’m working on a pair right now. I couldn’t bring myself to cut up any of my all stars or flats, but I also couldn’t wait to go buy a pair of shoes before starting so the sole of my boots are an old pair of crocs lol.

19. Bonnie
    February 13th, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

Well now I may do this to my old crocs… I never wear them anymore lol even though they are super comfrtable.

20. Janet
    February 13th, 2012 @ 1:41 am

Can you show some more pix from around the soles? This is a super cute project! Does the yarn seem to hold to the soles and feel secure?

21. Bonnie
    February 13th, 2012 @ 3:01 pm

Well, on the subject of sole, was puprosely ambiguous, because not all shoes are created equal. Which is to say that there’s different ways to do it. If you’re using canvas sneakers, for instance, my advice would be to leave a strip of the canvas sides to sew through, because I wouldn’t dream of trying to sew through the edges of that rubber sole. O_O I forsee a lot of finger casualties on that route. It depeds on the shoe you use, but if you just leave a strip of the original shoe to sew onto, it should work out great.

22. Jane
    February 14th, 2012 @ 6:59 pm

Here’s the link to see some of the pics I took of the boot.

You can see how I did the blanket stitch into the the rubber of the crocs. I wasn’t that difficult but it did take some time until I got the hang of it.

23. Sarah
    February 17th, 2012 @ 2:42 am

I used a leather hole punch to create the holes on the rubber sides of my old all-star sneakers. It saves the fingers and then all you have to do is crochet into the holes! It saves some time too!

24. Custom Sweater Boots « Crochet Day to Day
    February 17th, 2012 @ 6:19 am

[…] Custom Sweater Boots from BonBonanza are a great way to recycle old shoes with sound soles into something useful and […]

25. Laura
    April 7th, 2012 @ 10:33 pm

For the sewing part I bet a curved sailcloth needle would work great.

26. Bonnie
    November 6th, 2012 @ 3:49 am

I’m doing the boot adventure again, and got some new needles for it. Sailcloth needle is absolutely perfect for it. 😀

27. Karen Lothrop
    April 20th, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

I saw a site in which they used a drill to make holes.you’d have to clamp it Maybe use a small piece of wood inside the sole to hold it.

28. Rebecca
    August 12th, 2012 @ 5:16 am

Great idea! I’m making a pair right now that is based on this. I actually used a pair of fIip flops, crocheted a chain to fit around the shoe and glued it on. I used tacky glue, but shoe glue might be better. I also used sc clusters to decrease. It makes a nice clean and very effective decrease, and the decrease is very big.

29. Bonnie
    September 17th, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

I had that idea, originally, but I actually really liked the pair I was considering. But that’s a good way to get a cheap pair of boots, even if you buy the flip-flops brand new.

30. rikie chevelle stanley
    October 22nd, 2012 @ 6:13 pm

this is awesome!!!

31. zenaida
    October 30th, 2012 @ 2:17 pm

I having some trouble making them you can explain it in rounds and row please ….Ty and the look awesome.

32. Bonnie
    November 6th, 2012 @ 2:51 am

I recently did a kind of revisit to this pattern, and the pattern is posted here:

The Divine Beret is identical in most of its construction, except for these things:
    1) The divine beret is in double crochet, and the angel beret is in half double crochet.
    2) in the divine beret, you offset the front post double crochet to the left one stitch from the previous front post stitch, so that the ridges curve into a spiral.
    3) The divine beret ends in a ribbed cuff sort of thing, and the angel beret ends in a shell-y edging that really looks best with a ribbon woven in.
    Other than those 3 things, the Angel Beret pattern should be clearer, if you need clarification for the Divine Beret.

33. Bonnie
    November 6th, 2012 @ 3:48 am

For any further clarification, my newest post () should clear things up. If not, I’ll help however is necessary. 🙂

34. Lauren
    March 24th, 2013 @ 2:43 am

I absolutely love this idea! There are a pair of sweater boots made by UGG that I’ve been coveting and now I can just make something very similar myself without having to spend $160 😛
    I love Jane’s idea of using croc (or croc like) shoe soles instead. I see a new project for me in about a week 😀

35. Sleepy Z Farm
    July 31st, 2013 @ 1:18 am

Is it possible to use a pair of canvas shoes, and then not cut all the way down to the leather; but cut an inch or so above the leather and put the blanket stitch into the cloth rather than the rubber? Seems like it would be easier on the fingers. What do you think?

36. Bonnie
    August 1st, 2013 @ 3:23 am

That’s pretty much what I did on the next pair I made. (apologies on the lack of posting…) It works out great. If you’re worried about the look of the soles against your crocheting, you might pick a complementing color of yarn to go with the specific soles you’re looking at, but full steam ahead, I say. In my experience, it’s much easier on the fingers.