Well, it has been unseasonably warm, lately, until recently. When it got to below freezing, and my hands got very chilly. SO, I made mittens!
dc= double crochet
Using Vanna’s Choice Lion Brand yarn (less than a whole skein in any size I’ve seen) and a G hook:
- make a magic circle, sc 6.around it. (rnd 1)
- dc 2 per stitch for 2 rounds. (rnds 2+3)
- dc 1 per stitch for 6 rounds. (rnds 4-10)
- chain 15 from one side of the pouch, attatch it at the other side with a dc, and dc 6 rounds. This forms the finger pocket that flips back.
- ch 9 on the thumb side, and dc around 2 rounds.
- decrease 3 on the thumb tip for 2 rounds
- decrease 4 in the thumb tip on the next round
- then decrease 1 the next 2 rounds.
- dc 6 rounds for the wrist area, (if you want it longer, do a few more rounds) then sc 2, sl 1, then cut off and weave in.
- dc 2 rows on the edge of the finger pocket, so that there’s a slight overlap and your palms won’t get a chilly breeze. ^_^
- sl through an sc on the first round, then ch 3 and sl, cut off and tie it on, so that now you have a little loop of the tip of the finger pocket. (Make as big as necessary for whatever buttons you choose, since this is the button loop.)
- repeat the last step on the tip of the thumb.
- fold back the the finger flap to know where to place the button, then sew it on. Then fold back the thumb (after putting the finger flap back out) and place the other button where it should be.
- Repeat for the second mitten, making sure the thumbs are on opposite sides, so that the finger pockets flip backwards from your palms.