BonBonanza

I'm Bonnie, and I make stuff!

To keep your fingers (and mine!) warm.

Posted on | January 18, 2012 | 11 Comments

Well, it has been  unseasonably warm, lately, until recently. When it got to below freezing, and my hands got very chilly. SO, I made mittens!

~~~~~~~~~~~

ch=chain

sc=single crochet

dc= double crochet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Using Vanna’s Choice Lion Brand yarn (less than a whole skein in any size I’ve seen) and a G hook:

1. make a magic circle, sc 6.around it. (rnd 1)
  2. dc 2 per stitch for 2 rounds. (rnds 2+3)
  3. dc 1 per stitch for 6 rounds. (rnds 4-10)
  4. chain 15 from one side of the pouch, attatch it at the other side with a dc, and dc 6 rounds. This forms the finger pocket that flips back.
  5. ch 9 on the thumb side, and dc around 2 rounds.
  6. decrease 3 on the thumb tip for 2 rounds
  7. decrease 4 in  the thumb tip on the next round
  8. then decrease 1 the next 2 rounds.
  9. dc 6 rounds for the wrist area, (if you want it longer, do a few more rounds) then sc 2, sl 1, then cut off and weave in.
  10. dc 2 rows on the edge of the finger pocket, so that there’s a slight overlap and your palms won’t get a chilly breeze. ^_^
  11. sl through an sc on the first round, then ch 3 and sl, cut off and tie it on, so that now you have a little loop of the tip of the finger pocket. (Make as big as necessary for whatever buttons you choose, since this is the button loop.)
  12. repeat the last step on the tip of the thumb.
  13. fold back the the finger flap to know where to place the button, then sew it on. Then fold back the thumb (after putting the finger flap back out) and place the other button where it should be.
  14. Repeat for the second mitten, making sure the thumbs are on opposite sides, so that the finger pockets flip backwards from your palms.

Comments

11 Responses to “To keep your fingers (and mine!) warm.”

1. Valerie
    January 19th, 2012 @ 9:05 pm

Very nice! What yarn and hook did you use?

2. Bonnie
    January 19th, 2012 @ 10:28 pm

Vanna’s choice lion brand and a g hook. thanks for reminding me to put it up, I nearly forgot! 😀

3. Dawn
    January 22nd, 2012 @ 10:36 pm

thank you so much. I want my daughter to wear mittens or gloves to keep her hands warm. She doesn’t want to wear them because she “needs” to text. Now we can both be happy

4. Every Day, Filet Crochet… : BonBonanza
    February 5th, 2012 @ 12:40 am

[…] myself useful. I’m getting married this summer (some of you may have noticed my new ring in my mittens post) and I’ve been preparing to move, and begin married life. Hence, I’ve been thinking of […]

5. Alanna
    February 5th, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

I don’t understand step 5. What do I do with the ch. 9?

6. Bonnie
    February 6th, 2012 @ 2:45 pm

you sc *around* the chain to create the thumb pocket. You chain it, then sc down one side, around, and up the other side, in a round. Basically treating the new litte nubbin on the mitten as a new part of the original circle, but still just working in a round.

7. Alanna
    February 7th, 2012 @ 2:55 am

Gotcha. Thanks 🙂

8. Helen
    February 28th, 2015 @ 5:30 pm

I don’t understand the thumb either, it’s nowhere near where my thumb should be.

9. Bonnie
    July 13th, 2015 @ 7:06 pm

It could be that my hands are smaller, or my gauge was too loose.

10. Beth
    October 10th, 2016 @ 2:38 pm

Hi! Are these warm snout for snowy winter or more New England late Fall?
    Tried another pattern with 4.5mm hook on bulky yarn to make them super warm = disaster I have a tough time altering patterns myself unless it’s a blanket. Haha. Thanks!!!

11. Bonnie
    October 28th, 2016 @ 3:08 am

The “pattern” question are more of a guideline than actual pattern… But that being said, I’m fairly sure I used a fingering weight yarn. Nothing too bulky would be at all the right thing for these. Something more in the thickness of red heart super saver, if you’re familiar. I believe the actual brand for these was Lion Brand, “Vanna’s Choice”. Fantastic colors. Nice stretch, fingering weight, (roughly 1/8th of an inch? Just eyeballing and guessing here.) Bulky yarns go with bulky hooks, also, so it would be easier for you in future, if you get a yarn and hook together, test out holding the yarn in the hook. The with of the actual strand of yarn shouldn’t be too different from the hook size, (unless you’re doing something like broomstick lace).
    So, I’d recommend a different yarn, and don’t rely too heavily on the “pattern”… My writing has improved over the years, and, looking back, the directions are sure fuzzy for my older stuff.