I don’t know about the weather anyone else is having, but we’ve been having such bitterly cold, windy days.
And what do you do when it’s cold outside?
That’s right, you stay inside, wear your warm pajamas, and drink hot cocoa.
But besides that?
You craft, of course!
Reindeer Tracks Muffler:
(sl=slip stitch, ch=chain, dc=double crochet, tc=treble/triple crochet)
J hook, less than 1 skein of Vanna’s Choice Lion Brand Yarn
- ch76, join ends.
- ch3, dc 2 in next stitch. ch1, dc2 in same stitch that you already did 2 dc in. This makes a sort of split shell, or “hoofprint” pattern, as I like to call it. Then, skip1, tc1, skip1, repeat the hoofprint.
- Do this pattern of hoofprint/tc for 16 rounds(including base chain), joining with 1 sl, and chaining 3 as a stand-in for the first “tc” of the pattern in that new round.
- Cut off, and weave in!
This pattern makes a muffler with a 26″ circumference. If you want to make a smaller muffler, simply reduce the base chain in multiples of 4.
As the weather took a turn for the chillier, we started to have this icy draft get in under the doors. So I made a pair of these little guys:
I had a lot of lime green fleece hanging around, so I decided to make ours, but all you’d have to do is pick up a stuffed snake (or two, or however many drafts you’re dealing with) at the dollar store toy section. Making them was super easy, though. I measured how wide our door is, and then made sure the snake was longer than that. It only takes 1 long, skinny piece of fabric, cut on the fold in the basic shape of a snake (I’ve seen these made out of old ties, too) with the fat part of the snake, excluding the head, long enough to run along the bottom of the door (you could also put these in windows). I filled mine with dry beans, but they could also be filled with regular poly-fil.
They’ve drastically cut our heating costs, since the weather’s gotten colder. Ours is starting to get pretty grungy, since he lives on our floor, so I’ve decided that someday soon I’ll pick open a seam and move his inner beans into an old nylon stocking for a liner, so the outer snake can get washed periodically. Maybe a velcro closure, so the insides are removable for cleaning.
Dirty cute snakes aside, it’s been a HUGE cost-cutter for us. 😉