BonBonanza

I'm Bonnie, and I make stuff!

Boot Liners

Posted on | January 17, 2013 | 32 Comments

Lately, it’s been snowing nearly every day. I have some nice boots, but they could use a little extra insulation. (Plus, these things are so cute.)

See? Snow. Brrrr...

See? Snow. Brrrr…

So, here is your basic recipe for boot liners:

ch=chain

Sc=single crochet

dc=double crochet

tc=triple/treble crochet

4Dc-Shell=4dc

6Dc-Shell=6dc

***Make sure you take notes on what you do for the first sock, so that you can replicate your work on the second, and they’ll fit the same. You’ll want to try these on periodically, to be sure yo’ll have the right fit.

1) Get a pair of socks that fits you well. I’d recommend some ankle socks, preferably ones that aren’t too thin. Since these are a bout to be made into something completely different, don’t use ones you’ll miss as normal socks. Pick out some yarn (I used Red Heart Super Saver; just use something you won’t miss, the feel of it isn’t too much of an issue, though I wouldn’t use twine.)

2) Get a small-ish crochet hook (I used a G hook), and just push the hook through the weave of the sock, in order to add 1 round of sc to the top edge of the sock. Make sure to stretch out the sock as much as possible while you do this, so that the crocheted work has the right amount of give. Stretching it also opens up the weave of the sock’s fabric a bit for you to get the hook in.

3) After 1 round of sc, skip 3 between each 4dc-shell. Join rounds with 1 sl, and ch2 to make up the first dc of the next round. (For me, 1 round=11 shells) In each of the following rounds, make 1 4dc-shell between each of the previous round’s shells.

4) Continue using 4-dc shells until the curve in your calf, ( For me, this was at 10 rounds) then change to 6-dc shells. You shouldn’t need to increase the amount of shells. Continue using 6dc-shells until your boot liners have reached the height you want. This depends on what boots you have, or a matter of preference, but I stopped mine at 18 rounds of shells. Whenever you’re ready to finish off, all you have to do is end at the completion of a round, sl the round closed, and cut the work from your yarn. Then, just weave in the tails.

Ta-daa! A sock, plus a crocheted liner for the boots of your choice. :)

Ta-daa! A sock, plus a crocheted liner for the boots of your choice. 🙂

Comments

32 Responses to “Boot Liners”

1. Lorel
    February 1st, 2013 @ 5:25 am

Very cute!!!

2. Lorel
    February 2nd, 2013 @ 6:43 pm

These are adorable!

3. Cookie
    October 7th, 2013 @ 11:42 pm

These are cool.

4. Tamara - Moogly
    October 21st, 2013 @ 4:40 pm

Gorgeous! I featured these on Moogly today! Thanks for sharing the pattern! http://www.mooglyblog.com/free-crochet-boot-cuff-patterns/

5. Kaylee
    January 8th, 2014 @ 4:41 pm

Hi Bonnie.
    I am the editor over at AllFreeCrochet.com. I just love this pattern and I know our readers would, too. I would love to feature it on my site with full credit to you. If you are interested and would like more information, please email me at kpope@primecp.com.
    Thanks so much.

6. Betty Nipper
    January 12th, 2014 @ 2:53 am

Ok, I’m going to give these a try. Wish me luck!!!! Thanks for the patterns…Betty Nipper

7. Donna Woolwine
    January 17th, 2014 @ 5:12 am

what a unique idea you are quit ingenious for a young woman. I have been crocheting for many years and my daughter-in-law showed me a picture of a pair of boot cuffs my granddaughter wanted on her Christmas list and ask me if I could do them for her and I have found several patterns but none quit as unique as these, I just love these and so very femme too thank you for sharing with us old gals

8. Betty Nipper
    January 20th, 2014 @ 3:29 am

Question???? When I start the 6Dc shell, do I still only skip 3 between each? Thanks Betty Nipper

9. Bonnie
    February 15th, 2014 @ 9:19 pm

At the transition from one type of shell to the other, you should do everything exactly as you had done for the other kind of shells, the only exception being the number of stitches in each shell. I did this at the point where my calf got wider, so it would be fitted to my shape. So I guess the exact point you switch from one size shell to the next is a little arbitrary. Just decide. 🙂

10. It's Boot Season: Celebrate with 10 Free Crochet Boot Cuff Patterns! - moogly
    March 16th, 2014 @ 3:07 am

[…] Brr Boot Liners by Bonnie Irene, on BonBonanza: Love the nested shells that make up this pattern – so beautiful! […]

11. Nancy
    May 1st, 2014 @ 2:23 pm

About how much worsted weight (like Super Saver) does this pattern take?

12. Bonnie
    May 1st, 2014 @ 8:03 pm

I was using less than a whole skein of unraveled yarn, reused from an old project….Probably 1/4 to 1/2 of your typical super saver skein. Not the big, one-pound skein, probably a half pound size.

13. Nancy
    May 1st, 2014 @ 2:24 pm

And about how many single crochets did you do around the top of the sock? Doesn’t it have to be a certain number in order to have the pattern work in the next round?

14. Bonnie
    May 1st, 2014 @ 8:07 pm

It’s more about spacing, rather than a number. People’s sock sizes will vary. I did about 4-6 sc per inch of the circumference of the sock. The real goal is to make them close enough to connect without being gappy when the sock stretches, or seem disconnected from the sock when things shift. Not too far apart to have a good structure, not too tight to work with or wear.

15. Nancy
    May 1st, 2014 @ 2:30 pm

Another question…sorry….Starting each round with 2chains, is that the first DC of a 4DC shell? If it’s not, what happens to that DC at the end of the round?

16. Bonnie
    May 1st, 2014 @ 8:09 pm

Yes, that is counted as the first dc of a 4 dc shell. So, you chain 2, dc 3, and there’s your shell. 🙂

17. Denise
    August 23rd, 2014 @ 12:28 am

Do you have to attach it to a sock?

18. Bonnie
    September 2nd, 2014 @ 8:15 pm

No, but I found that to be the easiest way to get the right size, as the socks already fit.

19. Lourdes
    September 2nd, 2014 @ 4:42 am

Great pattern. What if I don’t want to use the socks? How many chains to start off with?

20. Bonnie
    September 2nd, 2014 @ 8:14 pm

Just chain until you get a length that you can easily slip your foot through.

21. DIY Crochet Boot Cuff Patterns {7 Free Designs} - EverythingEtsy.com
    October 19th, 2014 @ 11:17 pm

[…] Shell Boot Cuff Pattern – Bon Bonanza […]

22. 18 Wonderful Free Patterns for Crochet Boot Cuffs | WonderfulDIY.com
    January 2nd, 2015 @ 4:56 pm

[…] FREE PATTERN HERE […]

23. 6 trendy ting du kan lage til deg selv eller barna i vinter
    February 6th, 2015 @ 7:53 pm

[…] ikke å gå løs på store ting, så er pulsvanter og boot-liners kanskje greie å starte med slike boot-liners som vi fant hos […]

24. Fab Art DIY Free Crochet Boot Cuffs Patterns Round Up | www.FabArtDIY.com
    March 4th, 2015 @ 5:49 am

[…] and Downs Boot Cuffs | MooglyMaribel Boot Cuffs | Little Monkeys CrochetShell Boot Cuff Pattern – Bon […]

25. 10/27/14 Free Crochet Pattern Links | Free Crochet Patterns
    March 25th, 2015 @ 11:13 am

[…] Boot Liners from Bon Bonanza http://blog.bonbonanza.com/2013/01/boot-liners/ […]

26. Trend Alert: Boot Cuffs - Fashion Rouge Fashion Rouge
    June 10th, 2015 @ 2:39 am
  27. Jmarie
    November 8th, 2015 @ 1:10 pm

How many chains did you use to start the cuff?

28. Bonnie
    November 9th, 2015 @ 5:35 pm

I actually made it attached to the top of a sock, so you push the hook through the fabric of the sock, to just stitch around the top of the sock. You have to be sure to stretch the sock a lot as you stitch, so that the less flexible crocheted piece is big enough for the wearer. After that round of stitching along the top of the sock, you begin the shell stitches. It’s not a very specific pattern, more of a “recipe”, since the design is flexible to the size and fit of the wearer.

29. 101 Simple Crochet Projects {Handmade Gifts}
    December 4th, 2015 @ 2:59 pm

[…] Shell Boot Cuff Pattern – Bon Bonanza […]

30. bodynsoil
    December 16th, 2015 @ 10:00 pm

These look super cute, I love the pattern and how long they are.

31. Your Crochet