Seriously, it’s amazingly simple. I’d recommend that you don’t buy seeds online, though, unless there are pictures of the actual seeds, or the source is a proven, trustworthy source. Because:
That is a viable seed. Round, full, fat. This thing will actually grow. The one unfortunate time I ordered citrus seeds online, I got something like THIS:
Flat, empty, useless. This is literally the empty shell of a seed. There is no actual seed inside. It’s like a nutshell with no nut.
But if you get a viable seed, they’re very easy to grow. I have about 80% germination rate with this method. It’s pretty foolproof.
1.Use the right seeds.
2. Peel the seeds. (I know it’s tempting to skip this, but DON’T. The results will probably be very slow-to-sprout seeds, or a much lower germination rate. Or they’ll get all moldy before germinating properly.
3. Put the peeled seeds onto a moist paper towel in a zip-top bag, and leave it in a warm (not too warm) windowsill.
The bag acts like a little greenhouse for the seeds, which means they’ll be protected from chills or drying out when they’re so tiny and delicate. I like to label and date these, as my kids love to grow any and every mature seed we find in our fruits, and I know I indulge them 100% because I just love watching citrus grow.
Their seeds sprout so easily, their leaves are so green and fragrant, and, of course, they make fruit! How awesome is that? It does take a long time for them to bear, if ever, but… I’m growing these just for decorative purposes, honestly. I just love to look at them.
If you’re like me, you can’t get enough of the wonderful leafy goodness that is indoor house plants.
With little kiddos in the house, and the actual need to occasionally open the windows… I came up with a plan to make window-opening less of a chore.
Behold: The houseplant windowsill fence.
I had a spare board (1×4, if anyone’s interested), so I bought one of those adorable picket fences they sell to make fairy gardens, and hot-glued it around the perimeter of the board. It didn’t go all the way around, but I liked it that way. Easy, quick, and solved the problem. I placed the board in the right place so that the window can open with out being moved at all, and used a couple command strips to keep it in place.